Monday, December 6, 2010

El Huarache Azteca


Jabi and I had dinner in El Huarache Azteca, a Mexican restaurant in Oakland, its a chill environment that serves delicious City of Mexico style food! I'll say more on the food later. 

Anyway - we're having dinner and a lady approaches our table holding a bucket of single long stemmed red roses and she asks, "A flower for your girlfriend?"  The pressure is automatically on Jabi, I wonder what he'll say and right away he responds with, "No, thanks."  The lady walks away and he looks at me, totally nonchalant, and says, "You're dad's a florist babe." 
Then within the next fifteen minutes a mariachi band comes in asking the guests if they would like to request a song. It's like Jabi has been granted a second opportunity, but when they come around to our table - Jabi turns them down! Then he looks at me and says, "I only have my card tonight." (In this case, mariachi bands are paid in cash and there is a fee for each song.) 
I couldn't help but chuckle because lets say he had bought me the rose, at first I would have been all like "awww" but then later I would have just felt like he wasted his money because my dad IS a florist and my home is always filled with roses, so flowers don't have the same effect on me as they would to other people. Lets also say he would have paid for a song, I would have turned beet red from the attention towards our table, especially since I wasn't liquored up the experience wouldn't have been as enjoyable. Entertaining regardless, but definitely not much fun. 

He knows me too well.
But who says guys always have to get their ladies flowers and dedicate songs to them? I'm just saying - occasionally its cool but if you don't do it at all then you need to change it up. Besides Jabi has gotten me plenty of flowers over the years ;) 
Back to the food - I have been craving this place for months and we finally got a chance to go. This place has an extensive menu but I wanted to go mainly for the Torta Cubana! A torta is a Mexican style hot pressed sandwich, this one was filled with beans, egg, cheese, sausage, chorizo, breaded steak, ham, lettuce, tomato, avocado. IT. WAS. SUBLIME! It doesn't come with any side dish so we decided to order appetizer #20, which came with two mini sopes (thick corn tortilla cup filled with refried beans, lettuce, cheese and sour cream), two mini huaraches, and two mini pambazos (grilled white bread filled with chorizo, potatoes, lettuce, cheese and sour cream). Let me just say - the huaraches - were exploding with Mexican flavors. The huaraches are handmade tortillas filled with beans in the center and on top was a layer of sour cream, cotija cheese, pickeled nopales (cactus), and a green sauce. Muah! (Kissing the tips of my fingers)   
Mmmm! 

Torta Cubana - I had to take this half home it was so big!

If you are ever on International Boulevard and 38th Street in Oakland - stop by and enjoy some delicious food :) or check ‘em out at elhuaracheaztec.com
Me likez the foodz!

Arriba! 
-Melda 

No comments:

Post a Comment